|4 Weeks||4 weeks, 5 days a week
9:00am - 4:00pm
2 dogs per day
Students will learn what is listed on Curriculum at their pace.
|Limited to 5 students||$3500.00|
9 weeks, 5 days a week
|Limited to 5 students||$6500.00|
When seeking training, you should ensure your tutor is a Master Groomer, and a member of NDGANZ (National Dog Groomers Association of New Zealand) to ensure the highest standards are met.
JR's Dog Grooming Academy is the first Grooming Academy in Timaru, South Island New Zealand. JR Alcantra teaches the art of dog grooming to the highest level.
JR's Academy Courses
This is the complete list of items that students will be required to bring with them at the start of a course.
- Notes From the Grooming Table
- Clipper Wahl Km 2 clipper
- Blades 30,15,10, 7f, 5f 4f
- Snap-on Combs complete set
- Scissors 6.5 to 8,5 Straight, Curve, Thinner
- Brushes Medium Slicker flat and Curve
- Combs long pin poodle comb med/fine
- Shedding tools rake, shedding blade
- De-matting Tools matt splitter
- Nail Clipper large and small
- Starts with Classroom and Orientation
- School Policies and Procedures
- Salon Organization
- Shop Safety
- Identification and proper use of tools and equipment
- First aid
- Breed identification
- Handling and holding techniques for bathing, prepping and trimming
- Use of muzzle safety
- Setting breed patterns
- Trimming of cross breeds
- Finishing touches
- Use of snap on combs
- Clips for Non-sporting, terrier, gundog and toy groups
- Proper brushing
- Skin problem identification
- Flea and tick identification and removal
- Safe and efficient removal of matts
- Safe use of dematting tools
- Use of de shedding tools
- Proper use of tools and equipment a maintenance
- Handling difficult and aggressive dogs
- Handling young puppies to aged adult dogs
- Difference between manhandling and proper restraint of pets
- Making bows
- Rare breed grooming
- Correct use of bathing systems
- Ear plucking
- Nail trimming
- Proper drying techniques and use of dryers
- Ear cleaning and flushing out of ears.
- And much more...
To become a NZ Master Groomer it is a four-year process, providing you pass practical and written exams each year. It has been a fantastic 4 years meeting groomers from all over NZ and from around the world at the testing and competitions. This is great organizing that offers workshops, seminars and continuing education and I believe all groomers should take the time to better their skill and take continuing education. I have been doing this for 30 years and we all learn something and share knowledge at events. Here are a few photos from the work done at my shop.
The student will groom two complete dogs per day and assist in the daily functions of a grooming salon. The prior list will be conducted on a daily routine to perfect and gain speed and knowledge of the job. A goal of 4 to 6 dogs groomed in a day set. Time and practice she will get there.